Monday 3 January 2011

New Books, New Beginnings

Happy 2011!

My first book purchase of 2011- Water For Elephants. I am really interested in the book so far and I've only made it through Chapter 1 (I bought the book yesterday). I'll post my thoughts every now and then and maybe do a review when I finish.



I also read Into The Wild over the break and had mixed emotions about the book. Chris McCandless, the young man who drops off the earth from his family, friends and everything secure, embarks on a great adventure "into the wild." I believe his intentions are admirable yet selfish and I think there's a whole other piece to the puzzle not mentioned in the book. I'd love to have a conversation with Chris McCandless, but I don't think he'd like a person like me. He despises all that is worldly and I, unfortunately, can say there are lots of worldly things I like. For example... Anthropologie, shoes, massages, and delicious elaborate dinners and cocktails. However, I do love the outdoors and an occasional "adventure." I'm not sure I've been on an "real" adventure in Mr. McCandless's eyes. One day I hope to get away like Chris, but I'd like to be with my family or a friend. I don't mind being alone, but it's not something I'd prefer over company. My life would feel empty and meaningless without people to share it with. McCandless does, through quotes and letters, open your eyes to the emptiness and false security in material things and a secure future. McCandless was so radically against those things that he judged and belittled people who did value those things even the least bit. Materials and a secure future are only negative things when people place their personal value, confidence and security in them.



The position that Chris's family and friends endured for years is a miserable feeling and Chris was selfish to ignore the obvious fact that his disappearance would cause lots of hurt and confusion. The author, Jon Krakauer, does a decent job of portraying Chris from all different perspectives. Some people called McCandless a narcissist and some, a hero. Personally I gathered that Krakauer greatly admired McCandless for both his adventure and his spirit. I have mixed feeling towards him.

Christmas break was filled with much-needed R & R, friends, family and FOOD. Blogging to come about the break's activities- Happy 2011! It's going to be a great year!

No comments:

Post a Comment